Bilingual Parent Educator-Parents as Teachers Program
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Non-exempt- 37.5 hours/week
LOCATION: Dover, New Jersey (temporality remote due to COVID-19)
Our Parents as Teachers is a home visitation program in Morris County that pairs trained Parent Educators with pregnant women and young families. During regular home visits, the program provides family support, parent education and helps families build protective factors. PAT uses a strength-based approach to help families identify their own unique capabilities and skills. Focus is placed on development-centered parenting and parent-child interactions.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for maintaining a regular and long-term relationship with family members in the Parents as Teachers program.
- Assist parents in improving skills to optimize home environment and parenting practices that promote the optimal development of children.
- Assist in increasing the family support system.
- Help to improve the family’s ability to problem solve and advocate for themselves and their children.
- Establish a trusting relationship.
- Assist in strengthening the parent-child relationship.
- Assist the family in establishing goals and a plan for the accomplishment of those goals.
- Identify and refer to other supportive agencies.
- Input PAT and SPECT data in a timely and accurate manner into the web-based information system.
- Coordinate data collection and compile data for reports.
- Monitor family progress and compliance based on their Family Goal Plan (FGP) and Life Skills Progression (LSP) tool.
- Access and monitor growth and development of target child by completing timeline tools (ASQ/ASQ:SE, Home Scale, Milestones).
- Monitor current health and developmental trends in order to better assist families.
- Support families in following recommendations according to the Home Safety Checklist.
- Maintain manual and computerized client files in a confidential manner.
- Handle other assignments as requested.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s or 4-year degree in early childhood or related field preferred; High school graduate required. Good written and verbal communication skills required. Familiarity with data entry necessary. Two years’ of previous work experience with young children and/or parents. Bilingual (Spanish/English).
TO APPLY: Please fill out the form below. All applications must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Address your cover letter to Brille Kenner.