Bilingual Family Support Worker – Healthy Families/TIP Program of Passaic County
LOCATION: Paterson, NJ (temporarily remote due to COVID-19)
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time/Non-Exempt 37.5 hours per week
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Bilingual Family Support Worker (FSW) is responsible for establishing and maintaining a regular and long-term relationship with the families enrolled in the Healthy Families/TANF Initiative for Parents Passaic Program. The FSW conducts home visitation services from pregnancy through the child’s third year.
- Outreach families referred through Central Intake or a Service Provider.
- Use a standardized screening tool to determine eligibility for home visitation services
- Conduct family-centered and strength-based Home Visits based on the assigned enrolled family’s level of service; each home visit should last one hour;
- Interview/conduct the Parent Survey with parents to identify strengths/risk factors to support the family throughout home visitation services.
- Conduct weekly outreach efforts to engage hard to reach clients;
- Document, in FamSys, weekly home visits, assessment tools, and required forms, in a timely manner;
- Utilize Parents As Teachers curriculum to help improve parent child interaction;
- Establish a trusting relationship;
- Assist in strengthening the parent-child relationship;
- Assist parents in improving their skills to optimize the home environment;
- Assist in increasing the family support system and increase the family’s ability to problem solve and assume the role of advocating for themselves and their children;
- Responsible for assisting the family in establishing goals and a plan for the accomplishment of those goals. The assessment of the normal growth and development of the target child;
- Identify and refer to other supportive agencies, including healthcare appointments;
- Assist with organizing and facilitating parent workshops;
- Provide advocacy at appointments, as needed;
- Monitor current health and developmental trends in order to better assist families;
- Maintain own functioning vehicle in good working condition at all times;
- Maintain manual and computerized client files in a confidential manner;
- Handles other assignments as requested.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Two years of experience working with children (0-3 years of age) and families.
- Computer literacy required.
- Bilingual Required (English – Spanish/Bengali/Arabic)
- Knowledge of normal child growth/development and parent-child relationships.
- Experience in working with community agencies, including implementing referral processes.
- Ability to relate to families from a strength-based model even in an apparently chaotic family environment; ability to approach
families from a family-centered service model.
- Demonstrates motivation and ability to learn and practice basic supportive skills.
- Flexible availability
- Enjoys and functions appropriately with long-term, ongoing projects; doesn’t need immediate feedback or results for personal validation.
- Ability to establish and maintain personal/programmatic boundaries, while providing supportive services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic commonality, including value system and behavior norms.
- Believes in and is comfortable with advocating for nurturing, nonviolent discipline of children.
- Experience in working with culturally diverse communities/families and the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Demonstrates strong writing, effective communication and organizational skills
- Enters and maintains data entry of client information into database(s).
- Open to reflective practice (i.e. has capacity for introspection, communicates awareness of self in relation to others, recognizes value of supervision, etc.)
- Ability to travel throughout New Jersey to attend required core trainings, curricula training and ongoing trainings required by the model and/or agency.
- Infant mental health endorsement level I or II preferred.
Please fill out the form below. All applications must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Please include the title of the position that you are applying for.
Address your cover letter to Lorelly Frias.